Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unreal's SVSNOLAG  (Read 16206 times)

Spike

• Anope User
Unreal's SVSNOLAG
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:44:54 AM »

It would be great to see an OperServ command supporting Unreal's new SVSNOLAG and SVS2NOLAG commands :)

Right now, I'm resorting to OperServ RAW which is, according to the comments in the config file, not quite ideal.

See also: http://bugs.unrealircd.org/view.php?id=3109

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
Re: Unreal's SVSNOLAG
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 08:31:05 AM »

Firstly we don't support ANYONE who uses /os raw no matter what excuse they give.

Secondly this can be done as a module so I'm moving it to the modules forum.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

Spike

• Anope User
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:35:28 AM »

Firstly we don't support ANYONE who uses /os raw no matter what excuse they give.

Hence the request.. I wasn't asking for support on using /os raw, I'm asking for a feature so I *don't have to use /os raw*.

My apologies for being unclear. I hope this post clears things up a bit.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:43:56 AM by Spike »

katsklaw

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 11:43:29 AM »

Riddle me this.

How is it that hundreds of other networks, some with tens of thouands if not hundreds of thousands of users successfully exist for more than a decade without these commands but you can not?

Spike

• Anope User
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 11:45:10 AM »

Riddle me this.

How is it that hundreds of other networks, some with tens of thouands if not hundreds of thousands of users successfully exist for more than a decade without these commands but you can not?

Firstly, I think this is because said command is new. It didn't exist yet in previous versions.

Secondly, I never said my network cannot exist without this commmand - I am merely requesting it because it would come in handy.

katsklaw

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 09:51:24 PM »

Because it's new isn't a good enough reason, which btw it isn't really all that new, it was introduced in 3.2.6. Additionally, this is NOT something a user/oper should have at all. It has the tendency to allow users to kill your users from the ircd, just read the changelog sometime. In my 13 years as an IRC Network Admin I've never found a single instance where the possibility for a user/oper to kill all connections on an ircd was ever considered "handy".

As with all SVS* commands, there is a potential for extreme abuse, which is why the commands are limited to services servers to start with, hence the SVS part of the command. This is not a design flaw, it's called keeping stuff away from opers that they don't need.

This is also why it doesn't exist in previous versions, because of it's potential. Since there is really only 1 rather active module coder right now and I'm sure he'd agree with my point of view on this, I'd like you to understand that there is a very good chance this module will not be written.

Unreal ChangeLog
Code: [Select]
- Added ability to enable "no fake lag" for a user through through services via the
  new commands SVSNOLAG/SVS2NOLAG (syntax: SVSNOLAG [+|-] NickName). Obviously, care
  should be taken when giving such access to a user since he/she will be able to flood
  at full speed and could possibly take down the entire IRCd (well, everyone on it).

ciao.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:59:47 PM by katsklaw »

katsklaw

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 10:49:30 PM »

Hence the request.. I wasn't asking for support on using /os raw, I'm asking for a feature so I *don't have to use /os raw*.

My apologies for being unclear. I hope this post clears things up a bit.

FYI, your support question is irrelevant, Jobe said you don't get support because you use os raw. Anope's policies is that if you so much as load /os raw you void *ALL* support, not just raw related support.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 08:12:49 AM by Jobe »

Spike

• Anope User
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 11:09:39 PM »

Losing support is not an issue to me. Fact of the matter is that I would like to use this command in unreal, but don't fancy enabling /os raw for obvious reasons.

However, I understand your points. But I also understand the risks involved in using such commands. I may be slightly retarded but I am not stupid :P

Regardless, it's a shame anope is suffering from a lack of module developers. I'd volunteer if I had the time and patience to get the knack of C and anope module development, but as it is, I don't.

To give some more information - I have someone running a bot that runs relatively fast-paced games. However, because of the 'fake lag', these games become difficult to play with more than 10 users. Possible solutions are 1) making the bot oper (no way!) or 2) using the svsnolag command on the bot, where the latter seems a perfect solution. I'm sure you'll understand how relieved I was to find out such a command even exists. (the time i spent googling for alternatives!).

I hope that in all my googling efforts I have missed out on some alternatives, and that perhaps someone here could put me in the right direction to look at?

Master

• Anope User
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 11:36:33 PM »

From what I've heard, there's an option in the class block called nofakelag, but I'm sure if that still exists...

If it does, it's possible to set up a passworded allow block on a different port, and connect the bot on it.
Always believe Murphy's Law. If you don't, watch what happens.

Jan Milants

• Team
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 12:21:30 AM »

relatively simple to implement in a module as long as your don't need a DB backend...
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Spike

• Anope User
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 01:26:15 AM »

From what I've heard, there's an option in the class block called nofakelag, but I'm sure if that still exists...

If it does, it's possible to set up a passworded allow block on a different port, and connect the bot on it.

Yeah, I've tried that. You have to enable it in one of the source files (don't remember which). Recompiled unreal, and it would just give me an error, saying "unknown option". I guess they took it out again as svsnolag comes as a module now.

-edit-
Ok, so I didn't make any sense there..
Yeah, the option is still there, I just completely failed to get it working :P

relatively simple to implement in a module as long as your don't need a DB backend...

Erm, I don't think I'm following.. How exactly is it related to a DB backend? Please forgive my stupidity.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:07:14 AM by Spike »

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 08:14:18 AM »

An alternative, that wouldnt require you to sit there and sned an /os svsnolag every time to bot reconnects is have the bot /oper
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

katsklaw

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 11:04:27 AM »

if all that is happening is the bot is being killed for exceeding sendQ/recvQ, then the solution is very simple and better than an Anope module. Put it in it's own class and increase the allowed data.

http://www.unrealircd.com/files/docs/unreal32docs.html#classblock

then regulate who can use that class with an allow block (just under the class block).

Additionally there is information about already implemented NOFAKELAG in that bug report you pointed us to.

ircops already don't get fake lag
and for specific users, see FAKELAG_CONFIGURABLE in Changes (and include/config.h).

as well as a falkelag exception Unreal module attached to the bug found at: http://bugs.unrealircd.org/file_download.php?file_id=381&type=bug

Which appears to add the /svsnolag and /svs2nolag commands.

Which tells me you didn't even read all of the bug report. ;P~
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:12:14 AM by katsklaw »

Spike

• Anope User
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 11:55:30 AM »

An alternative, that wouldnt require you to sit there and sned an /os svsnolag every time to bot reconnects is have the bot /oper

Erm, if you had read my post, you would have discovered me to say this:
Quote from: Spike
Possible solutions are 1) making the bot oper (no way!) or 2) using [...]

if all that is happening is the bot is being killed for exceeding sendQ/recvQ

No, this is not happening. I don't recall mentioning this.

Additionally there is information about already implemented NOFAKELAG in that bug report you pointed us to

I am aware, as I mentioned in a previous posting.

Which appears to add the /svsnolag and /svs2nolag commands

Yes, I know. This is what I am using, as I said in my first few postings. However, unreal requires these commands to come from a ulined server, which is why I am resorting to using /os raw, which is why I am requesting a module/command/whatever so I don't have to resort to /os raw, as I already said in an earlier post.

Which tells me you didn't even read all of the bug report. ;P~

I wish you people would stop accusing me of not reading something when you yourself aren't even reading my posts properly. I did read the bug report. I read pretty much everything I could find on this subject. I may however not have understood it completely, still being relatively new to the subject. Surely this is not too difficult to understand?

At any rate, I know of alternatives now and I also know this feature won't exist in anope. I think that completes my search. Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:28:05 PM by Spike »

Jan Milants

• Team
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »

Erm, I don't think I'm following.. How exactly is it related to a DB backend? Please forgive my stupidity.
A DB backend as in setting it automatically on certain nickname groups. A command to do it manually each time should be simple to implement.
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

katsklaw

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »

ok this is silly so my last post.

1> you never mentioned the term "ulined" anywhere in any of your posts on this thread until just now.
2> There is a distinct difference between "that tells me you didn't read [..]" and "you didn't read [..]" I NEVER said you didn't read it .. I said as it APPEARS you didn't. HUGE FRIGGIN difference!  >:(
3> No you didn't mention exactly why you needed noloag other than for a fast-paced bot. That is why I used the word "IF" as in IF it is why. IF it's sendQ [..], re-read that part if needed.

4> that module is so piss easy to change to allow non-ulined users to send the command.

in do_svsnolag find (lines 92-93):

if (!IsULine(sptr))
   return 0;

and change it to:

if (!IsNetAdmin(sptr)))
           return 0;

Save, recompile, then reload the module and POOF .. only netadmins can now use /svsnolag !! Problem solved, have a nice day.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:28:40 PM by katsklaw »

Spike

• Anope User
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 09:55:35 PM »

A DB backend as in setting it automatically on certain nickname groups. A command to do it manually each time should be simple to implement.

Oh, I hadn't even thought of that. That'd be brilliant! But yeah, I see your point.

you never mentioned the term "ulined" anywhere in any of your posts on this thread until just now.

I pasted a link to the unreal bug report where it states this. Heck, you even pointed it out ot me.

2> There is a distinct difference between "that tells me you didn't read [..]" and "you didn't read [..]" I NEVER said you didn't read it .. I said as it APPEARS you didn't. HUGE FRIGGIN difference!  >:(

In that case I am sorry to have given you the wrong impressions and I apologise for my accusations.

3> No you didn't mention exactly why you needed noloag other than for a fast-paced bot. That is why I used the word "IF" as in IF it is why. IF it's sendQ [..], re-read that part if needed.

I don't see how it makes a difference. Perhaps I was stupid to think a feature request does not need background information besides the obvious.

4> that module is so piss easy to change to allow non-ulined users to send the command.

in do_svsnolag find (lines 92-93):

if (!IsULine(sptr))
   return 0;

and change it to:

if (!IsNetAdmin(sptr)))
           return 0;

Save, recompile, then reload the module and POOF .. only netadmins can now use /svsnolag !! Problem solved, have a nice day.

Now, there's something useful. And yes, that is piss easy (if you know anything about C and anope module development, obviously). Thank you for this :)

katsklaw

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 11:06:23 PM »

Re #3, when a feature request is made, it's very helpful if you prove why the feature is a good idea. Please remember that YOU are selling an idea. "i just need it" or " I think it's cool" type explainations generally get you ignored. Think about it .. you wouldn't go to job interview and only say "I need a job" and that's it would you? .. of course not.

Secondly, what's obvious to you isn't going to be obvious to those that don't need or know about what you are requesting. Case in point is the "obvious" code change to make it so you don't have to be ulined to use the command. While it's very obvious to me (because I knew what I was looking for, what exactly I was looking at and how to change it), it may or may not be so obvious to you. In short, never assume it's obvious.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:11:13 PM by katsklaw »

Spike

• Anope User
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 11:19:58 PM »

I suppose the fact that I never survived a job interview proves you're right :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up