Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Do you have a testnet? If so, what do you do with it?

Yes
No

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Testnets - Who has one?  (Read 19852 times)

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
Testnets - Who has one?
« on: July 30, 2009, 04:10:25 PM »

Hi there,

We're looking for more testers within the community and are interested in who has a testnet, and if so, what do you do with it?

Thanks for your feedback.

Amanda Folson

• Anope User
  • O_O
    • ZomgIRC
Re: Testnets - Who has one?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 04:22:02 PM »

I have one for testing various things both anope and ircd related. Current projects are XMLRPC and a custom IRCd hax I made \o/

Darth Panda

• Anope User
    • Cheap Software
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:35:54 PM »

well in my humble opinion I think every network should have a testnet. It's required to test new development changes so failures and crashes happen someplace users aren't.

Unfortunately, I use mine for testing the version I use, which isn't svn but a slightly modified version of 1.8.2.
Some things just don't need to be fixed.
Less is usually more.
One meets his destiny often on the road he takes to avoid it.

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 04:39:31 PM »

I agree.

Do people allow users on their testnet to help them or rely upon your network staff ?

Amanda Folson

• Anope User
  • O_O
    • ZomgIRC
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 04:43:28 PM »

My test net is a free to join thing...anyone can connect and ask to test/oper.

Namegduf

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 05:05:24 PM »

Taros and I run two testnets.

The first runs a duplicate of our current network software and configuration, and is used for developing new features, testing patches, and so forth for our network.

A second is used to run clean, unmodified InspIRCd and services software, with a configuration as closely resembling our live and test networks as possible, in order to reproduce bugs prior to reporting upstream (i.e. here).

At the current time, both run Anope 1.9.0p1 and InspIRCd 1.2 from git (actually, I don't remember if clean has services setup right now, but that's what it would be running as soon as we needed it). Clean runs straight from upstream git, while the normal testnet runs off our internal repository.

We'd probably install Anope 1.9.1 or 1.9.2 from git on either/both as soon as we wanted to begin working on either; we tend to do this for any software we want to test.

We don't stop regular users from joining or password it, but we don't advertise it either, although we don't particularly avoid mentioning it either. If people want to help play with our testing stuff, no reason not to let them. Neither have historically had oper access granted to people not on staff; we'd need to talk about giving it if someone asked.

Darth Panda

• Anope User
    • Cheap Software
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 05:17:54 PM »

I've allowed users on the testnet before but it's usually users than I know are technically inclined and they are aware than it may restart at any given moment. I don't find a lot of help when users go "the thingy isn't letting me do that stuff".
Less is usually more.

Sebastian

• Anope User
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 05:28:20 PM »

hi i have an testnet too
runs on anope1.8.1 and unreal3.2.7
and Unreal3.2.8.1
I am growing module coder and, besides, is to be learnt coding

greets

Han

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 05:54:06 PM »

Testnet: Hub - Leaf - services
ircd: Unreal3.2.8.1
services: anope-1.8.2
its for testing new stuff: patches , modules, ircd and services related
training for new Opers to learn the commands and acting in several situations
The Testnet can only joined with a password, but is everytime open for friendly user.

greets Han`

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 07:43:32 AM »

I have a shell I have Unreal3.2.8.1 on  and I can use any version of anope needing to be tested, tried current svn but it failed so when its fixed i'll try it again :)
So i'll test anything needed to be tested.  Want to help anope out in any way I can <33
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net
http://CnCIRC.net

LEthaLity

• Team
    • LEthaLity
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 05:00:11 AM »

Repost because i just moved everything on VPS'
Production: Unreal3.2.8 - Anope-1.8

2 TestNets
Inspircd12 - Anope-1.8.2-svn with Vipers protocol Module.
Unreal3.2.8 - Anope-1.9.0-p1
Both are open, sometimes serve as dummys for opers to play on. First server mainly set up to convince a broken production server i work on to upgrade. Second as a test server for changes that may be made to production net. I am currently producing/porting modules on both Anope packages.

Andrew B.

• o.O
  • Contributor
    • Keyboard-Failure
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 05:06:07 AM »

My network has... at least two networks.

We have one private network, which a select few opers and a select few users are on.. It's not really a "test net" as it's an entirely different network, but it's mostly used for our strategic planning and testing.

I also run various IRCd's off a few of my different VPS's just to test software, different IRCd's.. new IRCd updates and other things.
Andrew Berquist,

irc.kbfail.net

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 04:35:34 AM »

Now running 1.9.1svn :D
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net
http://CnCIRC.net

MikeXIII

• Anope User
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 02:18:48 PM »

oh wow, I'm the first to vote no :o
I simply don't need one since I have such a small userbase. If I mysterious lost my services databases and all backups right now it would only take a few days, maybe a week at most for everyone to register everything they had lost.

Sebastian

• Anope User
Testnets - Who has one?
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »

I have a new Test Net
It works on my own IRCD BunnyIRCd032 with Anope 1.7.1
Its runnig on my HomeServer

Server: openvz.ath.cx:6667

Darth Panda

• Anope User
    • Cheap Software
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 02:47:28 PM »

oh wow, I'm the first to vote no :o
I simply don't need one since I have such a small userbase. If I mysterious lost my services databases and all backups right now it would only take a few days, maybe a week at most for everyone to register everything they had lost.

While I understand your philosophy, I must tell you that it's flawed. What you describe can be handled with redundant, off site backups which has nothing to do with a TestNet.

A testnet is better used for testing software upgrades and new changes to your network configuration. If you make a major change to how the ircd reacts, it's best to test that on a testnet. If you upgrade ircd or services packages, then you need to test it on a testnet. Unless you never plan on changing your software in any way, you need a testnet. Testnets don't have to be 24/7 or open to the public, they just need to be the one that crashes if your new setting/software has a bug in it. If your testnet crashes it's no big deal. If your production network crashes, it's a challenge to your claims of stability and no one likes an unstable network.

TestNets aren't only for those that write their own software. You are the only one without a testnet because you aren't aware that you should really have one :)
Less is usually more.

TwinShadow

• Anope User
    • ShadowHime
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 11:31:17 PM »

I run Linux Mint (Ubuntu-derived distro) on my laptop and works pretty well for testing new toys.

My network ran Inspircd 1.1 for a while then upgraded to 1.2 since Viper's module never gave me issues on general use. I also used Anope 1.8 since I don't like to use services that don't really cooperate with me (1.9 is what I mean) sometimes. XD

But, I don't have a live network now since I didn't see a need to keep it going. So, now it's just my laptop if I want to do some playing around.

Andre Lanvermann

• Anope User
    • SolidIRC, your Place to be
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 12:46:49 PM »

Hello,

my Testnet is running on a small FSC Server at Home. I test new versions of services and ircds there.

My DevNet is running at my Laptop. I use it to learn how to write anope modules. Its running (like my Livenet) InspIRCd 1.2 SVN and Anope 1.9.1 SVN.

Both (TestNet and DevNet) getting fresh Services Databases from LiveNet all few Weeks and if needed some users are invited to help me testing.

Greetings,

Phantomal
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:13:17 PM by Andre Lanvermann »

Lynn

• Anope User
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 07:43:45 PM »

4 servers for testing. linux and bsd distros. we dont do windows! Staff is all thats allowed except on occasion ill ask couple my programming buddies outside the main network there to help track down problems. we dont do C++ either!

peter

• Anope User
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 02:15:13 AM »

I got a testnet on localhost, i test modules with it, compile them, for both unrealircd and anope. did have it fuck up a couple of time though ;)

Ryan

• Anope User
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 06:58:08 PM »

I usually make a test net on one of my extra vps ip's if i need it but its used not that often we can usually just throw things onto the main net since we're pretty small.
Rayth
LightSys Networks

VisioN

• Contributor
    • myIRC Project Hosting IRC Network
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 03:44:58 PM »

Hello,
As from today my network runs its own separate IRCd for testing purposes. We currently run the release candidate version of Unrealircd (3.2.9-rc1) and Anope's development 1.9 head from GIT.
We use it for testing stuff, help projects in finding bugs and getting familiar with the "future" of IRC. This server is open and anyone can ask to test/oper on it, just pm me if you need that.

Have fun!

someone

• Anope User
    • http://www.somenet.org
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 08:04:49 PM »

on my laptop: Just services and ircd.
on another machine: ircd.

so its a svc <-> srv (<-> srv).
Pages: [1]   Go Up