Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: anope as aWINDOWS service  (Read 9317 times)

hc2995

anope as aWINDOWS service
« on: August 22, 2006, 08:07:36 PM »

heres what i hate, after i restart my PC i forget to restart the services then 20 mins later when i logon i remember and ppl start getting mad couse i forgot...... so what im asking is please give us windows users the option of running it as a service :D (PS what you can do as a temp solution is add anope.exe to the scheduled tasks list and have it run when windows starts ;))

n00bie

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 08:13:22 PM »

and also, it will be better if anope has an options for /operserv restart for windows users.
I am always doing things that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

heinz

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 08:19:02 PM »

If you search the forums, you'll see this has been mentioned before. Basically, there's no guarentee that Anope will start after the IRCd.

As with restart, it's on the bugtracker and will be fixed in the next release.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 10:06:53 PM »

1> IRC was designed and is highly recommended to run on a *n?x environment. Without arguing as to why and opening a can of worms which will turn off topic immediately, we won't discuss it.

2> If you run on a Windows platform as a growing number of our users are, it's best to do so on a dedicated basis. Like on a server and not on a home PC that's used for common everyday computing tasks. This is because it's inherant that home PC's start and restart more frequently than servers do, even when running the exact same OS.

3> http://www.firedaemon.com

hc2995

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 10:36:55 PM »

well i have 3 PC's 1 of which is my server it is dedicated to my HTTP server my IRC server and my services thats it..... but heres the thing every now and again i find myself doing work onthe server (upgrading drivers, installing hardware ECT....) and everso recently i had a HD failure and are now running a RAID system with an external back-up HD so after installing those i had to restart a lot but adding it to the scheduled tasks list is good as a temp fix ;)

PS. Please PLEASE give the option of windows service soon PLEASE!

heinz

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 10:51:57 PM »

You'll not see any official Windows Service code in Anope any time soon... katsklaw gave you one possible option which you can investigate :)

hc2995

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 03:16:52 AM »

Why dont people make things for windows? Windows is easy to operate, no permission or CHMODing needed and is on 98% of all home and business PC's?

Trystan Scott Lee

• Contributor
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 03:58:45 AM »

1. Cost money.. for the most part support Windows API means paying large sums of money to MS (don't get started on piracy).. to get Visual Studio or any many IDE programs. (only free ones are hacks.. mingw still needs the libs from Visual Studio to do most things)

2. Ever try and read the MFC ? get lost in the hell of Windows API, like oh yeah tool tips pop ups (learned from personal experience).. are set at 10x your double click speed (default btw is 500ms), you have to override this, otherwise when the user turns their double click speed down you wonder where the tool tips are... (yes this caused me a few weeks of headaches looking for it)

--------

Now lets cover your comments

1. Permissions? you have never seen Windows at its best then.. I do software support  for a living and go through the hell of making sure the user has write/read permissions to folders cause their admin made their account work only in their home directory

2. chmod, never had this issue under linux unless you do something stupid like try to do stuff as root first, again goes back to permissions

3. you only think windows is easy to operate, till you have to put it into a business world and wonder why the hell the security and obfuscated programs don't work
my God my tourniquet, return to me salvation

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 10:16:34 AM »

Originally posted by hc2995
... and is on 98% of all home and business PC's?

that s probably correct, but IRCd's usually run on servers - except for a bunch of smaller networks run off home PCs and regular connections -  and those servers usually run some sort on linux variant. Most IRCd's only work on linux anyways - or are at least designed for it, except for the popular unrealircd or so, yes but even though a lot of networks run that, most of them will still be running it off linux servers... why design a set of services for windows when over 95% of the irc population sits on servers running linux ?
i m not gonna start flaming at windows or MS here, i still use it myself, mainly because the programs i need aren't designed for linux but still... i have linux installed though to run an ircd for me to play around with and the difference between installing it on linux or windows is just a matter of habbit... when i tried to get unreal and anope working on my windows machine it cost me like twice as long as it would have cost me under nix.

as for what Trystan said, i can only agree with that, though i wouldn't know about the MFC. wanted to add something on your point 3 though... ever tried to change one of the more advanced settings on windows ? i guess not because none of those are easily changed, if they are even accessible in the GUI, for most things you have to go digging into the registry... imho much worse then linux where you can find almost everything in the config file for that specific program/option...
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up