Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MySQL issues resolved?  (Read 5023 times)

Adonis

• Anope User
MySQL issues resolved?
« on: June 19, 2008, 03:38:24 PM »

Hi,

I noticed the following in one of the latest Anope releases:

"An important note for MySQL users: various database schema improvements
have been added in Changes.mysql. Be sure to apply these changes to your
database schema for a large increase in performance of the MySQL code."

Does this mean we can turn on the MySQL function again if we upgrade to this version? Have the MySQL slowness issues been resolved?

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 04:15:37 PM »

Resolved isn't really accurate... the current MySQL implementation can't possibly reach the speed it should. While the update should significantly improve the speed, you will have to check whether it s fast enough for you.
The MySQL implementation would need to be completely redone, but that won't be happening in 1.7/1.8... that s gonna be an issue for 1.9/2.0.
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Adonis

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 05:25:03 PM »

Does it solve the issue of taking up so much power, that the Anope services disconnected itself from the IRCD? I only have a small network, but still this happened.

I still don't understand why it takes it so much power while previous versions did not. I also run Denora Stats, which has a continuous MySQL connection. I never have had any issues with that. Maybe the Anope developers can take a look at how the Denora team have implemented their MySQL queries?

The MySQL implementation is a requirement if you want to develop a website which uses info the services store in the database, especially if you make use of Denora- as well as Anope's database, you can make really cool web applications.

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 05:50:53 PM »

Denora is based upon Anope.. i do not know what changes they made to the sql implementation, but it is unlikely a massive overhaul will be made to the anopes current SQL implementation. The current codebase is simply not suitable for it, so it s scheduled for 1.9.

As for your situation, if you allow anope to run mode queries on the SQL server, it may resolve the issue of anope timing out. Also, the only way to find out whether it  is fast enough for your size db is to try... i don't use sql myself mainly because i think it s unneeded overhead.
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:01:25 PM »

I believe the original request here is aimed at the lag Anope sees when it updates. Since Anope is a single threaded application it can only do one thing at a time. Thus long updates can even cause Anope to ping out.

The answer is yes and no. Yes it's improved (meaning you shouldn't be lagged several minutes at a time), no it's not completely fixed (meaning it still shouldn't be used).

The biggest problem with those that use anope and want to use a web interface is they are too damned impatient. Live SQL that is worthy of use will be around sometime in the Anope 1.9 Devel branch .. no sooner and no later. I'm going to pin this thread and lock it because I'm tired of this question being asked weekly and the answer has not changed in the last 12+ months. The answer is sql is not live nor recommended for use as a website backend ... period.

Anope is not a live sql services nor will Anope 1.8 stable be live sql services.
Pages: [1]   Go Up