Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a solution or an idea  (Read 13301 times)

ambta

• Anope User
Looking for a solution or an idea
« on: May 18, 2013, 12:00:51 PM »

Hello.

I'm thinking for a while now, but I can't find an adequate solution.

situation:

server A (public IRC server)
InspIRCd 2.0.12
Anope 1.8.8

server B (private board)

Server A has various chans with mode +r (registered users only). That works fine.
But now I want to add chans with an "extended +r mode" which only registered users from server B can join. It doesn't matter if they're registered on server A.

My ideas:

* Add an extra flag to the register command (server A). During the registration the membership on server B will be validated.
  pro: seems to be the best way
  con: user must be registered on server A, and I've to extend the source (register/identify) and database.

* Use an eggdrop which will verify every join on the restricted chans and kick unauthorized users.
  pro: seems easy
  con: various users can join the restricted chans, regular communication between server A and B.

* Use key/invite mode
  pro: fastest way
  con: Keys go public and invites has to be managed. This means a lot of work for a few thousand users from server B.

I'd like to realize my first idea. Either I create modules or I extend the existing source. I think modules are the better solution, but I've never done this before (writing an Anope module). Or is there already a solution for my / a similar problem? Maybe somebody has got a better idea?

I'd be grateful for any help, hints, tips or tricks.

best regards
ambta

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
Re: Looking for a solution or an idea
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »

IRC servers are designed to communicate and stay synchronized so server b will always work in concert with server A. Anything less can cause dysynchs and some of the weirdest things imaginable.

With that said I see a few semantic looking flaws here, but in truth can mean everything.

1 chan mode +r means the channel is registered with services. It has nothing to do with users. Chan mode +R means only registered users may join.
2 users do not register to ircds, they register to services and if they are registered to services they have the same rights all all servers linked to the network. You can not have seperate privledges on a per server basis.

With all that said, there is a way to have a "separate yet linked" feel without causing a desynch and that is to bridge between servers with either single channel relay script or a program like Janus. This way the ircds cannot communicate because they aren't actually connected. But that also means services cannot talk to both servers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up