Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Authenticate Registered Web Users  (Read 8369 times)

Mike Bronner

• Anope User
Authenticate Registered Web Users
« on: July 25, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »

I have posted the following at the UnrealIRCd forums, and was advised that my question is a services question, so I thought this might be a good place to ask as well:

Hi everyone,

Please excuse me if this has been asked before, and please bear with me as I am completely green in regards to setting up an IRC server. My goal is the following:

- Allow only users that have registered on our web site to connect to our server
- Have one chat room as an exception that is publicly accessible, our lobby so to speak
- if possible automatically register our website users with nickserv (the registration form asks for their IRC nick as well as email)

I have the users' passwords stored in a hashed form in our web site database, and it does not use MD5 or SHAW, but a form of BCrypt (if I'm not mistaken), and we want to avoid having user password stored plain-text anywhere on the server, of course.

I'm not opposed to thinking-outside-of-the-box solutions, i.e. having the web site create configuration files for UnrealIRCd to read.

Any thoughts on how to best approach this?
Thanks for your thoughts!
~Mike

Adam

• Team
Re: Authenticate Registered Web Users
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 03:09:18 PM »

Code: [Select]
- Allow only users that have registered on our web site to connect to our server
- Have one chat room as an exception that is publicly accessible, our lobby so to speak

This contradicts itself because you cannot allow anyone to join one channel while only allowing registered users to connect.

Code: [Select]
- if possible automatically register our website users with nickserv (the registration form asks for their IRC nick as well as email)

Use m_sql_authentication.

Mike Bronner

• Anope User
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:58:23 PM »

Thanks for the response.

I guess I was a bit unclear: perhaps allow anyone to connect, but restrict access to certain channels only to web-site-registered users? Is this what m_sql_authentication will help me do as well?

Adam

• Team
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 12:05:36 AM »

m_sql_authentication then a +R (registered only) channel mode would definitely work.

Adam

• Team
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 12:07:05 AM »

On Unreal (and probably InspIRCd?) you could force new channels +R and also restrict it so users cannot set -R, and then use /samode to set the one channel you want to allow unregistered people in to -R. Be sure to make m_sql_authentication disallow normal /ns register or otherwise disable it.

Mike Bronner

• Anope User
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 12:11:55 AM »

Thanks, Adam! While I don't completely understand all the commands you are referring to, it does sound like what I am looking for! We will research this direction some more. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up