Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anope SVN - rev. 1462 and later..  (Read 5374 times)

Jan Milants

• Team
Anope SVN - rev. 1462 and later..
« on: October 01, 2008, 11:17:39 PM »

As of a few minutes ago we have broken the long retained backwards compatibility on our databases.

Anyone using SVN revision 1462 or later (so also upcoming 1.7.23) will be unable to roll back to a previous version because the nick.db written by our latest builds will be incompatible. So when trying out SVN, be sure to make backups of nick.db before starting anope.
Anope-1.7.23 (or currently last SVN) should read all older databases, but right after loading will overwrite the nick.db with a newer version of the database which, once written will be unable to load in 1.7.22 (or SVN 1461) or earlier.
The above is also valid for the pre nickserv database (pre-nick.db) which stores not yet verified accounts when email activation is enabled.

The decision to drop backwards compatibility wasn't taken lightly, yet it was the only way to fix a bug in the database system causing sha1 hashes of nickserv passes to be stored incorrectly.
Also note that this fix doesn't work backwards.. already broken password hashes will not magically be fixed, they will need to be reset, once that is done the DB should contain the correct hash.

Feedback on Anope-SVN is currently very welcome as this is a rather big change. Especially feedback about the effects on MySQL (both dump only and RDB) is welcome.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:08:51 PM by Viper »
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

katsklaw

Re: Anope SVN - rev. 1462 and later..
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 01:20:00 AM »

IMHO, since you have already broken compatability, you can now fix the known issue with MLOCK.

Jan Milants

• Team
Re: Anope SVN - rev. 1462 and later..
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 05:00:17 PM »

I disagree.. there are tons of fixes/improvements that need to be made to the databases and doing it in 1.7/1.8 is imo a wasted of time + would delay 1.8 considerably. I prefer putting that time in 1.9 where serious breakage can be afforded..
The mlock issue would require a much bigger change then the fix to resolve the password issue too.. the protocol modules aren't even suited to do this atm as anope can't even decently lookup modes, they are handled as text which is also not ideal.
It would be a different database that needs modifying too..  :)

Would be double work too as this is already being worked on for Anope-ng/1.9..
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 05:04:07 PM by Viper »
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up