Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minimum Bandwidth for an IRC server  (Read 17722 times)

Bunkerwaiss

Minimum Bandwidth for an IRC server
« on: October 17, 2007, 05:49:35 AM »

Hello brothers..

I've been searching for a good irc hosting but,
nothing match with my requirements.

So, i've been thinking in mounting my own irc server in my house.

¿What is the minimum bandwidth that I need to accept for exemple 500 connections or less?
¿And how I must calculate it?

Thank you all for your aswers :)
Chris

PD.: and please forgive me for my english ;( i'm not american.

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 10:13:23 AM »

Firstly this should be in the General board.

Secondly, badnwidth doesnt depend on the number of users, but instead the ammount of activity.

So a server with 3000 users could easily use less bandwidth then one with 500

That said there is no definitive way to determine how much bandwidth is needed other then to try it yourself.

On that note, if you cant find shell hosting that meets your requirements then youre probably not going to be able to host it at home either. Not to mention that youre probably setting your requirements way too high.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

GhosT

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:03:40 PM »

Some IRCD hosting comes with unlimted of bandwidth. They normally limit on disk quota, number of process and amount of users.

Hosting IRCD from your home is not recommended.

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:27:51 PM »

well i know of some places where you can get real good and stable connections at home, if that s the case the ability to manage your own server may make up for it not being in a dc. A UPS these days isn't that expensive anymore either.
You would need at least a static IP and a minimum of 1mbit up though if you want to be able to scope with bursts.

As for bandwith usage, on a net I am on hubs don't need more then a few gigs a month and leaf servers will use anything between 70gig and 600gig a month. Of course the 600 occurred when we were low on leafs and they were close to being full for quite a while.
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Errebehache

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 03:30:30 PM »

I have seen  2 home servers,  one had 128 bandwidth and had 80 users normally, the other had 512 bandwidth and i saw 200 users more or less, but i don`t know if affect when users are sending files to each other

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 10:18:18 PM »

Hosting IRCD from your home is not recommended.

Why exactly do you think that?

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 10:26:41 PM »

Bunkerwaiss,

You can host an ircd on any type of connection. It's not hard to have 50 or more users even on a 56k dial-up connection. In fact, 95% of the networks that exist can be hosted on a 56k connection with very little lag, but you definately don't want to piss off any script kiddies. Most of todays "admins" don't understand exactly how little IRC actually uses.

As Jobe says it does matter what the users are doing and where on the network the users are as to how much bandwidth will be used. however, I'd like you to know that DALnet hosts between 35,000-45,000 users and each server uses about 300kbps sustained. Which will saturatate most home DSL connections with no problems, but there are no more than 7 other networks our of 4500 in the world that has more users, so any tiny speck of a userbase you have can easily be handled by a rather small amount of bandwidth.

Please understand that these figures are approximate and under normal conditions.

[Edited on 17-10-2007 by katsklaw]

Bunkerwaiss

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 01:30:07 AM »

Thanks to you all guys
especially to you katsklaw

That is the answer that i'm specting..

In any case, i'm gonna use Ubuntu, as my SO base..
and services like Anope and Statserv, and no others services...
a dedicated machine for de irc daemon..
My connection speed is 256kbps
So, my real up and downstream is 28.8k

Is that enough? or I need more?

Again
Thanks guys :)

SNU

• Anope User
    • http://www.firstclassirc.com
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 04:21:53 PM »

Think of, that you

a) need a static IP
b) need a stable and contiuous connection!

Your users wont stay if the ircd has every 24 hours a reconnect to the internet, also by changing the IP.
BTW its quiet hard to get lots of users :D So I guess it might be enough for some users. But on the other hand you also possibly want to have a good ping. A big delay isn't that fine.

Armadillo

• Anope User
    • http://www.penguinfriends.org
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 10:36:22 PM »

Ursprünglich verfasst von SNU
a) need a static IP

DynDNS.org <-- useable with many routers, today ;)

b) need a stable and contiuous connection!

Your users wont stay if the ircd has every 24 hours a reconnect to the internet, also by changing the IP.
BTW its quiet hard to get lots of users :D So I guess it might be enough for some users. But on the other hand you also possibly want to have a good ping. A big delay isn't that fine.

24hour disconnects are very bad, but also an energy blackout can cause very long disconnects.

So why don't you use an existing network with a good infrasctucture? For example the one in my signature. :D ;) We have 3 Servers all connected by SSL and we're running anopes and Neostats (so also Statsserv). ;) </advertising> ;)

[Bearbeitet am 18-10-2007 von Armadillo]
IRC-Network: irc.PenguinFriends.org | Website: www.PenguinFriends.org
Anope: 1.9.9 | InspIRCd: 2.0

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 11:35:56 PM »

Originally posted by Armadillo
Ursprünglich verfasst von SNU
a) need a static IP

DynDNS.org <-- useable with many routers, today ;)

that will resolve the issue of the IP itself changing, but not the problem of all clients being dropped when the IP is changed...

/Me slaps Armadillo with a no spamming/advertising ad :+
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Bunkerwaiss

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 08:25:24 AM »

forget about the IP and energy and the "How to"

what i'm asking is about a technical thing always forgotten
and this matter can be very helpful for many other users

I don't want a network or a big server
just a server to storage 200 to 500 users

is 256kbps enough?, or I need more?
and how I must calculate (if there's a way..) this relation beetwen user and server

Tnks :)

Armadillo

• Anope User
    • http://www.penguinfriends.org
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 10:04:46 AM »

As already said it depends on how much the users talk with each other. So 500 users with 256kbps could be a little bit short, but you should try it, then you know more...^^
IRC-Network: irc.PenguinFriends.org | Website: www.PenguinFriends.org
Anope: 1.9.9 | InspIRCd: 2.0

Reacter

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 08:33:19 PM »

Again, as said before, you can run this system you are asking about, however, you could quickly run out of bandwidth, your upstream is kind of small, and that being said, just don't piss anyone off that has plenty of systems at their disposal ...

Master

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 09:22:19 PM »

(Old thread, but so are the rest of them here :P)

I guess some people don't realize that back in the day when IRC was first developed, 28.8k was the common speed (28.8 kilobits/sec, roughly half of 56k's speed) and IRC never lagged.

So, think of that. IRC is all text-based, and therefore even slow dialup connections can easily support a bunch of users. However, with today's botnets and script kiddies, sometimes this isn't enough.

100-200 users would probably run fine on any basic DSL/Cable with 256kbps upstream, but that also depends on how active these users are (even 5-10 users flooding at full speed will saturate the connection) and other servers linked to the network. Lag on your connection is also something to consider, as some home nets are extremely slow (a whois query could take 20-30 seconds). If you're hosting a net to chat with friends, the bandwidth specs you gave should foot the bill. :)
Always believe Murphy's Law. If you don't, watch what happens.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 09:47:28 PM »

Actually IRC is much older than 28.8k or even 14.4k modems. IRC was invented when sub 10K modems were high speed. IRC was invented in 1988 as v1 and v2 come about in 1993. 14.4k modem become affordable for home users a few years later.
Pages: [1]   Go Up