Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: switching to mysql and/or md5  (Read 4850 times)

mrzer0

switching to mysql and/or md5
« on: December 06, 2006, 06:24:23 PM »

Hi all,

I've been browsing through the forum here and kind have had my question answered already.  But it does not seem to be a definite answer based on what I've read so far.

I'm currently running a small server.  About 30 users, but there's talks of it becoming much larger.  Being that I just had a small setup, I used the defaults for Anope (1.7.17) which if I understand correctly is "flat-file database" and "plaintext passwords."

I would at the very least, like to switch over to md5 hashes.  Can I simply make that change in the services.conf without having the 30 or so users RE-register their nicks/channels?

Can I migrate to a MySQL database from the flat-files here?  (With or without MD5 hashes).  Is it just a matter of setting up the config file with the appropriate info?  Is there a tool I'm supposed to run.

As I was saying, it seems I can do both of these with relative ease, but I'm just not 100% clear.

Thanks!
[mrzer0]

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 06:50:46 PM »

Ok for switching to encrypted passwords at present requires recompiling Anope. This does NOT require all your users to re-register as Anope will automatically encrypt all the passwords.

For MySQL support again this needs to be compiled in before you can enable it in the config.

One word of advice, as far as i have seen the file based DB's Anope use at present are more reliable and offer better performance as far as i have seen. The other point is that the MySQL support in Anope isnt full support only a read into memory at startup, write back at periodic intervals. This means it is not live data.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

mrzer0

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 06:56:00 PM »

Jobe1986:

Cool.  All very good info, esp. the stuff about MySQL.  I had MySQL compiled in, but I do not have it turned on.  From the sounds of it, I don't think I will turn it on either.  Maybe I'll just write up some shell scripts to do what I want to do.  But it's good to know the option is there.  Regardless, switching to MD5 would be a good move I think with the server growing.

Thanks for the heads-up!  :)
[mrzer0]

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 07:03:21 PM »

if you still have plaintext databases atm, it might be a good idea to wait a little bit with enabling md5... the current md5 implementation in anope is "broken" (well it works and encrypts and stuff, but it doesn't produce a real md5 hash i thought).. has always been for that matter, but i thought svn, and thus the next release has a normal md5 implementation, configurable in config instead of chosen at compile time...
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 01:28:35 AM »

I'm currently running a small server. About 30 users, but there's talks of it becoming much larger. Being that I just had a small setup, I used the defaults for Anope (1.7.17) which if I understand correctly is "flat-file database" and "plaintext passwords."

As currently released (1.7.17) you will have to re-compile to switch to encryption, however it's not a real md5 encryption. In order to use true md5 encryption you will need to use the current svn version (r1196) which does not require a re-compile to implement encryption and also has true md5 encryption as well as our old encryption and plain text.

NOTE!: Using svn versions of Anope is "bleeding edge" Anope and have not been tested as well as even the 1.7 development version. As with all Development software, it's not designed to used in a production environment as a stable version is.

The mysql code in 1.7-svn is currently being re-worked and once 1.8 is released as the stable branch, Anope should be deemed stable and do all you asked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up