Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anope Win32 GUI  (Read 7929 times)

eLunatic

• Anope User
    • webchat.elunacy.net
Anope Win32 GUI
« on: April 03, 2008, 12:00:47 AM »

well, just the other day i was setting up a friend with unrealircd on windows, and found out anope works on windows.

needless to say i was very happy about this, but would it be possible to have a gui for it?

i figure it would be useful to have the gui sort of like the wircd.exe for unreal, where it has the simple rehash, restart, shut down, and status options. ofcourse status wouldnt really be needed in this sittuation as theres nothing connecting to the services lol.

but yeah thats my thought, other than that maybe make an auto q module standard for anope.

i found one but it didnt work, it refused to compile on nix for my own server and no one i know could figure out what the problem was. (i used the typical makemodule cmd)

thanks for the services though guys, i love it ^_^ get to own the bots like mad! lol

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 03:40:23 PM »

Writting a GUI to perform very simple commands that can already be done by typing a few words is not worth the effort. Other than those few commands, Anope would have to be re-written to use a more complex GUI, which will not happen. Additionally, it's not our plan to make Anope a 3-4mb download just so only the Widnows users can benefit.

So in short, "No".

secondly the auto mode q module you are requesting has already been started by a module author.

Finally, Anope doesn't have a "makemodule" command. So you must be confusing your ircd with Anope.

kusau

• Anope User
    • http://www.gamingcomm.com
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:10:23 AM »

Well said. :) That and Windows problably isn't the best system to be running IRCD or Services.

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 02:18:34 PM »

There's nothing wrong with running IRC related services on windows server's. A lot of people like to bitch about windows (myself included) but the reality is that if its a well maintained box it can perform just fine.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 02:27:38 PM »

Originally posted by chaz
There's nothing wrong with running IRC related services on windows server's. A lot of people like to bitch about windows (myself included) but the reality is that if its a well maintained box it can perform just fine.

Actually Windows is inferior at running servers. This isn't because of the OS it's self though. It's because of how it handles TCP stacks, which have been known to cause problems with stability.

If MS could fix this issue and use a better system to handle TCP stacks like Unix based systems can, then it would be a more formidable server OS. Microsoft already knows this, perhaps that's why they still rely on Unix based web servers along with their IIS based web servers.

I do agree with chaz that it can likely handle any new network that wishes to use Windows instead of Unix. There have been successful Windows based networks in the past. The largest by far was WebChat using Conference Room, which was originally a Windows only ircd. Currently I believe that even they use several Unix/Posix based OS's on their network.

However, even after all that .. I still fail to see a need to spend several hours coding a GUI to issue 4 commands.

[Edited on 26-5-2008 by katsklaw]
Pages: [1]   Go Up