Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: services root noexpire?  (Read 5845 times)

SNU

• Anope User
    • http://www.firstclassirc.com
services root noexpire?
« on: August 06, 2007, 07:30:28 AM »

As I see It seems, that Nicknames of services root also can expire if not set.
What ais if one sroot is on vacation and you forgot to set his nick to noexpire? anotherone might register his nick and might get full access.
So what about a feature that automatically sets every servicesroot to noexpire?

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 10:55:36 AM »

Why can't you just set noexpire on yourself? It take alot less time (about 3 seconds) and effort (type 1 line) for you to do it than for us to make it happen automaticlly. Admins need to stop trying to be lazy and maintain their networks and stop expecting ircd/services coders to make their job completely automated.

/ns saset SNU noexpire on DONE!

Please don't try the "I have alot of root admins" thing either, your not supposed to, in fact with other services packages you only get 1.  Even on DALnet when it had 140,000 users they only had 10 Root Admins. I have 3 Root Admins on my net and it took me about 10 seconds to make them not expire.

I don't mean to sound grouchy but I see alot of these requests where what the user is requesting is so simple and takes so little or no effort to do themselves and they expect the coders to take 10 to 100 times longer and more effort just so they don't have to.

In all honesty, this request just happens to take 1 single line of code in the expiry function for root nicks to never expire, but then you will have someone somewhere that doesn't like it and wants it to be optional, which with the current method it is. So lets just configure your roots to not expire with just a few seconds worth of "work" and call it a day :)

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 05:42:34 AM »

Not to mention any nick listed in ServicesRoot requires you to be a global oper to register anyway, and if you have opers you dont trust on your network they really shouldnt be opers to begin with.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

SNU

• Anope User
    • http://www.firstclassirc.com
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 11:50:37 AM »

It was just an feature Idea _._
Surely its more simple to do that command and I already did. I also have just a few s-roots so it doesnt really mention.
But I thought in future it might be a nice standard that services root cant expire by default.

I don't talk about the laziness to type that 1-line command after opering up.

As you argue it means that if you order a bottle of beer in a pup and also order a beer glass to drink out of this... you might answer "you don't need a glass you still can drink it directly from the bottle". Do you understand now how I mean this feature-suggestion?

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 12:19:11 AM »

Originally posted by SNU
It was just an feature Idea _._
Surely its more simple to do that command and I already did. I also have just a few s-roots so it doesnt really mention.
But I thought in future it might be a nice standard that services root cant expire by default.

I don't talk about the laziness to type that 1-line command after opering up.

As you argue it means that if you order a bottle of beer in a pup and also order a beer glass to drink out of this... you might answer "you don't need a glass you still can drink it directly from the bottle". Do you understand now how I mean this feature-suggestion?

oh I wasn't arguing, and I'm sorry if you took it as such. I do fully understand your request, in short I don't think it's worth it because the trouble it takes to add this feature doesn't really equal a huge gain, and the headaches from other side effects, such as support, flexability .. etc .. of this new command would cause more time wasted in dealing with that it takes to set no expire on in the first place.

Basiclly, using your analogy, of serving beer from a glass vs from the bottle.

Think of it this way:
1> someone had to buy that glass
2> it gets washed several times a day (costing resources like soap and water).
3> every time the glass is used it could possible get broken or stolen.
4> some people will complain if we don't serve in both glasses and bottles so we must do both, which makes it more difficult.

whereas:
1> the bottle gets recycled/thrown away.

In this case you are asking us to start serving beer in glasses instead of bottles after many years of successfully selling beer in bottles and I'm saying that the headaches caused by that are not worth buying the glasses.  

I hope you understand *my* point of view.

It's very easy to make this work, a well placed || is_services_root(u); will do. But that doesn't allow any flexability at all.

[Edited on 9-8-2007 by katsklaw]
Pages: [1]   Go Up