Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: databases  (Read 11501 times)

Kaoru

databases
« on: May 19, 2006, 11:08:24 AM »

Because I have nothing else, I've decided to setup an IRCd on my Win 98 SE system. I know it's a bad idea, good thing I don't intend to go public with it, I'm just doing it to learn.

Miraculously, I managed to get services running, the problem is my databases, I don't have any so I keep getting errors in the log file saying "Cant backup bla bla bla".

I decided to create blank files under the required file names (the os_info.db looks blank). This turned out to make things worse as Anope didn't even launch.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 11:12:46 AM »

Anope is not known to work properly with the exact problem you are experiencing on non NT based Windows OS.

Kaoru

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 12:52:08 PM »

I see, after a little while playing with it, I now find that it was working, because I initially used the .tar.gz pack.

I got the precompiled .exe, set it up and now see the error:
     [May 19 13:42:59 2006] Microsoft Windows 98 SE is not a supported version of Windows

could it be possible for you to email me a set of empty database files that I can use as I did with my original setup or are they "install specific"?

SDF_of_BC

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 04:11:40 PM »

I used to run my services on a 98 SE computer, until I started getting error where the databases wouldn't save, and it couldn't back up.

Why not try out linux and stick that on the machine. That's what I did. :)

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 05:27:59 PM »

Why not try out linux and stick that on the machine. That's what I did. :)

I really don't recommend doing this. Especially if you have never or barely used Linux or there is a chance that you require Windows to perform other tasks, even gaming. On top of that there is always hardware issues to overcome like getting the correct drivers for propriatary hardware ... etc .. Switching to any OS from another OS should be thought through very carefully even from one version of Windows to another.

It's much more advisable to get a shell account that allows the running of irc daemons. You'll find that they are not expensive. Many providers start less than $10/mo.

Kaoru

$$$ anyone
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 11:53:10 AM »

I've thought of getting a shell, but the thing is, even $10/mo. is too rich for my blood... that's R600 (I'm in South Africa) I'm only earning +/- R500 a week...
As the other guy said, the only problem is that the databases aren't saving (or rather they aren't being created), so all I really need is someone to send me a copy of their clean databases and I can try that

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 03:25:38 PM »

Hi, I can appreciate the south african currency issues, feel free to pop into #anope on irc.anope.org and i'm sure someone will send you some blank dbs ... I however, don't think it will work :/

Kaoru

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 03:36:38 PM »

Thanx chaz
Thing is, I'm willing to try anything right now, I've even gone so far as to install VPC and try installing Red Hat Linux and running my IRCd with Anope there, except Red Hat didn't install.
Due to the fact that there were no dbs installed with Anope, I can only hope that getting a blank set will work, if it doesn't, well, lets just say I'm used to it by now ;)
Besides, there's no way I'm going public with this server anyway, I'm just doing it so that I can say I've done it. It'll also look good for me when IRCops ask what I know about server maintainance.

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 04:26:46 PM »

You could try using VMPlayer and downloading a preinstalled linux environment and compiling your ircd/anope on there. I've done it a few times to test compatibility.

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 05:11:34 PM »

it doesn't matter whether anope finds the databases or not...
during initialisation anope checks the windowsversion and if it s not supported, it terminates.
I used to run my services on a 98 SE computer, until I started getting error where the databases wouldn't save, and it couldn't back up.
older versions of anope did not do this, this is something that was added recently, in 1.7.14 i believe. you could try using an older version of anope but that s certainly not recommended at all because those contains bugs, and in some cases even crash bugs.

as for installing linux, i don't see why it would not be recommended. linux is the way to go for most server systems and certainly for shell/irc servers. i myself run linux on one of my PCs and do not regret dumping windows... the only thing i still need windows for is Vistual Studio and games and such
an alternative is indeed trying out linux through VMP, there are like chaz pointed out images with preinstalled vesions of linux available on the net.

[Edited on 7-6-2006 by Viper]
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 08:01:49 PM »

as for installing linux, i don't see why it would not be recommended. linux is the way to go for most server systems and certainly for shell/irc servers. i myself run linux on one of my PCs and do not regret dumping windows... the only thing i still need windows for is Vistual Studio and games and such
an alternative is indeed trying out linux through VMP, there are like chaz pointed out images with preinstalled vesions of linux available on the net.

[Edited on 7-6-2006 by Viper]

That's my whole point, the user still may need Windows for Win32 only software such as "Vistual Studio and games and such". The user has already indicated that this is more or less a hobby or "just for fun" install.

I'm all for users using the OS and or software that best suits their needs. I personally use FreeBSD. Each OS has their strengths and weaknesses. Ditching an OS that one is familiar with for Linux just so one could just "play with IRC" seems a bit absurd.

Kaoru

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 08:36:48 AM »

All well and good guys, I've looked at FreeBSD as a matter of fact. The problem is that downloading this, that and the next thing as you guys have been recommending requires significant use of my 3gig cap. That said, I can make the necessary downloads, unfortunately I am not the only one using the cap (there are about 6 other people using it).
I do have one question though. Anope is supposed to install dbs when it is installed correct? So why is it that it didn't install any when I set it up?

If I can figure an answer to this question and fix the problem there, I can get sorted nicely...

Dave Robson

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 08:45:30 AM »

The problem is anope does not work on windows 9x - the solution is for you to run anope on a supported OS, be it windows, linux, bsd whatever.

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 10:11:18 AM »

as for
Anope is supposed to install dbs when it is installed correct? So why is it that it didn't install any when I set it up?

that s not correct. anope creates its databases when it is started and it cannot find any allready existing databases
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 01:35:57 PM »

Originally posted by Kaoru
All well and good guys, I've looked at FreeBSD as a matter of fact. The problem is that downloading this, that and the next thing as you guys have been recommending requires significant use of my 3gig cap. That said, I can make the necessary downloads, unfortunately I am not the only one using the cap (there are about 6 other people using it).
I do have one question though. Anope is supposed to install dbs when it is installed correct? So why is it that it didn't install any when I set it up?

If I can figure an answer to this question and fix the problem there, I can get sorted nicely...

Installing FreeBSD should not come close to your 3GB cap unless you have used a good portion of it already. if you get the FreeBSD boot only CD iso which is about 22MB. Burn it to CD. and install from it. If you do the bare minimum install you should end up with roughly 420MB installed. This figure does not include Xorg or a window manager. KDE would likely add another 200MB. If this is not acceptable, there are other ways to get FreeBSD CD's without paying commercial prices.

Depending on where you live, there are sites that will burn GNU/GPL software to CD/DVD and sell them for cheap. If you are in the states I'd be willing to do it for a small donation.

Kaoru

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 09:40:49 PM »

Cool cool. Does this come with a Live CD aswell, because I'm sure you guys figured out by now that if I had any wish to re-install an os on my pc I would've by now.

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 09:55:42 PM »

Kaoru, download VMPlayer (free) and then you can download a preinstalled version of FreeBSD (from the vmware site), amongst others with various download sizes to reflect your capping. It saves you formatting your pc, and also saves on cds :p
Pages: [1]   Go Up