Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: standard level for registered users  (Read 9705 times)

SNU

• Anope User
    • http://www.firstclassirc.com
standard level for registered users
« on: January 12, 2008, 10:14:48 PM »

Hi.

I found out that ugly news causing on the one hand a bug and on the other hand being sad on my IRCD:

12/03 F Unregistered users now have access level 0 instead of -1.         [#796]

Which standard-level do have registered users now? Still 0 ? seems so.
On my IRC I set up many channels to "levels AUTOVOICE 0" so that every registered user gets voice if he is registered... now this doesnt work :(
also vipers nice bs_fantasy_ext module makes anope crash when you have fantasia set to 0 ...
May you please revert this change or make the default level for registered users to 1 ? :D
thanks

Jan Milants

• Team
ACC lvl regged and unregged users...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 10:19:40 PM »

[I originally posted this as a seperate thread, but SNU was quicker then me, so adding here..]

As of revision 1313 which fixes bug #796, it is impossible to make a difference between registered and unregistered users on the access list. In the past unregistered users used to have -1, but this was changed because they were unable to gain ops even with secureops disabled.
However by changing it to 0 - formerly registered users only - it has become impossible to for example to use access list to autoop people or restrict a channel to registered users only.
Because changing unregistered users from -1 to 0 to fix the bug #796 was the easiest it should be considered changing registered users from 0 to 1.

I hate to admit it, but i found this issue so annoying that i changed a line in anope's core...

[Edited on 12-1-2008 by Viper]
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Pieter Bootsma

• Team
    • http://geniusdex.net/
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:01:46 AM »

We basically had three options:

- Leave it as it was, where unregistered users could never get ops on certain channels due to the AUTODEOP level being at -1 by default (unacceptable, functionally-wise)

- Change the default levels so AUTODEOP would become -2; have quite some convertor code in place to change the level of -1 to -2 for any already registered channel (unacceptable due to the amount of complexity involved)

- Make both registered and unregistered users have level 0; minor loss of functionality because of lack of discrimination between registered and unregistered users (somewhat acceptable)

So basically, we decided to do the last option. If you want to get all registered users voiced and unregistered not, you can always still write a module to do that for you.

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »

Yes, i agree on that, but wouldn't it be possible to move registered users one up as well, to level 1. I think it would only require a change to do_set_restricted() and do_enforce_restricted() to keep restricted working properly in case secureops is set. Since level 1 isn't used for anything by default, it shouldn't impact anything else, should it?

Edit: since this probably will never make it into the core, i wrote a small patch that will do this (unid'd get -1 as they used to) and module to reset the some  levels on all registered channels to solve side effects.
For more info, please contact me. I can't post it here since using it is unsupported and will void all anope support!

[Edited on 27-1-2008 by Viper]

someguy676

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:11:17 PM »

Why is it unnacceptable?
its only UNREGISTERED(guests) users who wont be opped,right?
they'll lose their ops status anywayas soon as the leave irc, or the very moment they part the channel, right?

And viper's suggestion seems like a fine alternative to resolve this issue,too.

could you pls move registered users to level 1? (if it isn't being used)

I realy really liked this feature
[Edited on 31-1-2008 by someguy676]

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 08:22:55 PM »

well i can understand why they want to fix AUTODEOP...
moving registered users to lvl 1 is much harder then it seems though... there are to many side effects.

I found it easier to give unregistered users back their old level  (-1) and used a small module to reset the AUTODEOP and NOJOIN levels on registered channels so they can still get ops.

someguy676

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 09:03:44 PM »

Originally posted by Viper
well i can understand why they want to fix AUTODEOP...
moving registered users to lvl 1 is much harder then it seems though... there are to many side effects.

I found it easier to give unregistered users back their old level  (-1) and used a small module to reset the AUTODEOP and NOJOIN levels on registered channels so they can still get ops.

i think u mean give REGISTERED users back their -1:p
anyway, if it were me, I'd just tell the channel admin to change the level for deop manually (/cs levels #channel set deop -2 ).

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »

no, unregistered used to be -1 (minus 1) and registered used to be 0. 1 has never been a default level, t would mean the user has some access to the channel...

[Edited on 31-1-2008 by Viper]

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 10:40:05 PM »

In my humble opinion it should be:

0  =  identified
-1 = unidentified/unregistered
-2 = autodeop

This way you can set autovoice to 0. Currently it seems that we are trying to deal with 4 types of users with 2 numbers and it's not working well at all.

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 11:58:25 PM »

except for autodeop, that s how it used to be...

Honestly, i patched the core (just a small change) and wrote a small module that resets autodeop and nojoin levels on all channels, and i know a few ppl used it, but can't really post it here cuz it s a bit unsupported ^.^
Pages: [1]   Go Up