Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic email upon expiration time ending "soon"  (Read 8561 times)

Syloq

• Anope User
Automatic email upon expiration time ending "soon"
« on: November 16, 2015, 10:38:33 PM »

Today I had a user come to me and say that they didn't know that their nickname expired. Which gave me the thought that it would be nice that the daemon could send an automatic email x days before a nick expired. Multiple emails would be nice on different configurable periods, but that may make it rather difficult to keep track.

Also along with this it would be nice to know when the nickname got dropped.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:49:45 PM by Syloq »

KnownSyntax

• Anope User
    • ChatNPlay
Re: Automatic email upon expiration time ending "soon"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 08:15:19 PM »

This would be really helpful, either with a possible warning message through email or if the user has nicknames grouped letting a memoserv notice be sent out to the whole group to let the user know that one of their nicknames is about to expire.

Michael Hazell

• Anope User
    • Techman's World
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 07:53:04 PM »

I went ahead and wrote this. It doesn't quite answer what you need, but this should do for now. Go ahead and test it and let me know if it works. If it does, I'll put it in the modsite.
-Techman
Owner, Techman's World
Owner, Techtronix IRC

genius3000

• Anope User
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 06:15:32 AM »

I've started on a module for this very purpose a few days ago. Just been toying with it as I had time and I believe I have it to a working and usable condition.
It goes a little more in-depth than Techman's module; as it will allow a single notice of either expired or soon to expire (at a configurable point, or 1/4 of expiry time remaining) nicknames and channels. Also gives the option for email or memo (or both). Currently, just the mail portion is wrote...problem is I don't have a working mail system on the VM I run my test services from. I'll have to finish up another test-net setup soon.

I'll put up this module soon as well as another module I wrote (os_expiring), which lets an operator (with 'operserv/expiring' permission) see any pending expiry nicks/chans. Hoping to get Author status approved to post them to the Module Site as well. For now I'll just update this thread with the links when I get them up.
See next post

Update, Links as promised: os_expiring.cpp and m_expirenotice.cpp
Disclaimer: os_expiring has been fairly well tested both on my test-net and a production network; m_expirenotice has not been as well tested. It's also a work in progress and still has 'Log' messages for testing.
Please do try one or both of these if you wish and let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:12:02 PM by genius3000 »
-genius3000

genius3000

• Anope User
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 07:04:47 AM »

Today I had a user come to me and say that they didn't know that their nickname expired. Which gave me the thought that it would be nice that the daemon could send an automatic email x days before a nick expired. Multiple emails would be nice on different configurable periods, but that may make it rather difficult to keep track.

Also along with this it would be nice to know when the nickname got dropped.

Both aforementioned modules are posted on the Anope Modules site.
Direct links: os_expiring and m_expirenotice

I haven't tested m_expirenotice on a production network yet and have noticed on my test-net that it seems to send out "false" notices for channels sometimes. I believe this is due to how Anope resets the expiry time of a channel that hasn't had any joins/parts but does have a (access-listed) user idling in the channel. The channel has to become "expired" to then get checked for users in the channel that are on the access list. This has been fixed in module version 1.0.3
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 02:25:25 AM by genius3000 »
-genius3000
Pages: [1]   Go Up