Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Defcon chmodes, per channel  (Read 5630 times)

Mike.XIII

Defcon chmodes, per channel
« on: February 17, 2009, 04:15:32 AM »

A lot of networks have one or more "primary" channels where the majority of users join/idle, so I think it would be good to have the option to set chmodes for these specific channels along with the chmodes network-wide.
This would allow you to automatically set stricter chmodes when it's needed without having to worry about how it may effect channels belonging to others.

Edit: Just thought of this, maybe it can even be extended to allow channel founders to set defcon modes via a "chanserv set" command.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:17:10 AM by Mike.XIII »

katsklaw

Re: Defcon chmodes, per channel
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 01:01:57 AM »

I really dislike this idea, leaves way too much room for abuse. It would allow a malicious user to exempt their channel from defcon and exploit it somehow. However, I'll meet you half way by suggesting the exact reverse, defcon exceptions. This would allow admins to exempt channels from defcon mass modes.

The thing is, anytime you go into a lockdown in anything, it's best to use deny,allow rules instead of an allow,deny rule. It's much easier to manage for everyone.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:03:32 AM by katsklaw »

Mike.XIII

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 03:59:15 AM »

Ah I see what you mean about it being used against the network by the person attacking it.
It could also be solved limiting it to services operators or setting it directly into the services config file.

Just to clarify to make sure we're thinking the same thing, the idea is to keep the current defcon mode settings so it sets +R on every channel for example, along with the additional modes per channel.
So... every channel on the network gets +R
#example +M
#example2 +mu
and whatever else has been defined

katsklaw

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 04:37:42 AM »

we're not thinking the same thing. What I mean is defcon modes for all channels except those listed, namely network help channels which should be -R even at Defcon1 for support reasons.

Mike.XIII

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 05:39:46 AM »

Oh, I thought this was already possible with mlocks.
I must have misread or misinterpreted what's written in the config file.

katsklaw

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 02:19:49 PM »

Defcon overrides mlock
Pages: [1]   Go Up