Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "distributed" serveces..  (Read 8982 times)

avaddon

"distributed" serveces..
« on: October 17, 2006, 04:32:01 PM »

act like botnet or some..
running on some (or even every!) linked in irc network servers..

for irc network with not good link that may broke.. for minute.. or hour.. or..

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 05:59:34 PM »

The problem is due to the restriction of only one server being allowed to be connected to the network with the same name at the same time the backup servers would have to remain disconnected until needed. There is also the additional load this would add to Anope. And what happens when the main services server goes down if you have more then 1 backup. They all try and connect at the same time causing errors or if 2 connect on different sides of a split the split wont heal because both sides will already have a server the services server name.

In my opinion it isn't really feasable for such a system to work successfully. It would just end up causing more problems then it would solve.

[Edited on 17-10-2006 by Jobe1986]
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 10:35:28 PM »

I'm sorry to dissagree with you Jobe. However, it's actually rather easy to have more than 1 set of services such as backup services. It's not a good idea to have more than one set connected at once but you can have like services.mynet.org and services2.mynet.org. db synchronization happenes via shell scripts before starting either set. These shell scripts can use rsynch or even ftp to copy the newer db files before starting services. Once the normal services is ready to come back online it will rsynch the current db files to it's run directory before starting as well.

Several large nets have done something like this for years.

rsynch can also be used to maintain remote backup copies and many other system duties. rsynch can als be used to keep shared conf files for Unreal as an alternative to remote includes which can all be set up on a crontab to update.

goa

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 08:51:49 PM »

Katsklaw can you explain me exactly how to make a redundancy with 2 services? i was looking documentation for that but i can not find it.
Thank You

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 11:37:21 PM »

goa, there is no documentation on it. I do not have the scripts that are needed to keep the db's synchronized. What I was explaining is that it is possible and it in use by other networks.

goa

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 12:01:07 AM »

no problem for the db synchronize, that i can do it, but i do not know how to keep 2 services without conflicts

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 03:10:06 AM »

well as indicated, you can't really run 2 sets of services at once. you have a seconds set installed but nor running until it's needed. If you can do the scripts as you claim, then you know what I'm talking about.

goa

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 12:59:40 PM »

Ok i understand now, thank you :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up