Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: send email for successfull registering  (Read 3978 times)

SNU

• Anope User
    • http://www.firstclassirc.com
send email for successfull registering
« on: November 04, 2007, 06:54:29 PM »

Hi.

I'd like to request a module that extends the eMailfuncionality.

I have NSForceEmail enabled But (currently) think there is no need to have NSEmailReg enabled (small network). So although I have a small email-blacklist it is still possible that some can register their nicks with an invalid eMail.
I would like to have a module that sends an ConformationeMail like
"thank you you successfully registered your nick to xxxx IRC. You set your Password to: hfjshe38984nd. Remember it!"
So one the one hand I could provide more informations into the eMail-Text (some important links e.G.), on the other hand I might get some eMails back like "email blablubb retrieved, user unknown" and could talk to the user using that email.

Maybe that module needs an more difficult check to deny registering a nick where the smtp reports an error sending the eMail. But therefore I don't know if this is possible, I guess not.

Thanks so far.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 07:08:54 PM »

I don't see a reason for this. When you tregister on IRC, Services already tells you that you have successfully registered. I see no reason to waste resources saying it again via email.

my $0.02.

SNU

• Anope User
    • http://www.firstclassirc.com
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 07:42:37 PM »

Hi.

Heh. I have enough recources on my box. My irc is a small one so I could say ressources won't be a problem.
My main goal is to dertermine "invalid emailadresses". The positive secondary effect might be:
- the "good" user gets an email provided with his irc-password to remember
- he also might get some interesting links or informations how to use and set up the registered nick

I know your point. I guess you more like to keep IRC "clean" from "unneeded" interoperabilities. I think there is no need to be very conservative in that way and there could be done more implementations to make Life smarter .D
But as you said these are your 2ct I raise another 2ct :D
greets.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 08:01:23 PM »

well,

First this is the module request/discussion forum. Which allows users to discuss their opinions on threads posted, which is all I did. To be honest, my level of resource conservation really has little to do with anything. I simply stated that I personally think it's wasteful. What may appear trivial now can cascade into massive resource consumption later, when that happens you are the one to explain why a certain feature is no longer available. There is a saying called: "Mind your pennies and the dollars will take care of them selves", which simply means that if you are frugle with your spending of smaller amounts of money then the money will be there for the larger items you need. In this example being frugle with resources will always pay off regardless of the amount of users you have.

Secondly, to insure email addresses are valid, simply enable the NSEmailReg that you previously claimed you don't need and email address verification will be done automaticly.

Third, just because you think it's a good idea to spam your users with links is a good idea, I'd be willing to bet your users won't. Personally, I visit hundreds of networks every year and occasionaly register my nick. I don't read the email contents other than to get the confirmation code, I ignore the rest. Again, I'm sure users do too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up