Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RSS Reader module, integrate for randomnews  (Read 5648 times)

zEkE

• Anope User
RSS Reader module, integrate for randomnews
« on: November 16, 2008, 07:59:40 PM »

Don't know if this is possible, it just came to me as a 'good idea'.

Module to be configured to retrieve items from an RSS feed (or possibly several..) to update every half hour or so, and setting a number of random news articles based on the feed content.

Useful for networks with network-news RSS feeds, where users may be interested or need to know things, but isn't critical enough to warrant the network to send globals every hour with the same information.

Potential could also exist for setting a logon-news item to the most recent item.

I suppose the hard part will be expiring old items, as the news functions as they exist don't have a time-limit functionality.

Open to other suggestions on how the idea could work before someone were to code it, if it is workable to have a socket manage HTTP sockets in this way.

SNU

• Anope User
    • http://www.firstclassirc.com
Re: RSS Reader module, integrate for randomnews
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:41:42 PM »

I think such class of modules are often discussed. I won't see such ones in IRC-Services. This does not have anything to do with "NickServ", "ChanServ", etc...
I'd suggest to use an Eggdrop for that.

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 06:36:31 AM »

I think it's an interesting idea, and as with most suggestions it's something that _could_ be done via an eggdrop etc but it _could_ also be done via anope if an interested author wanted to look into it.

zEkE

• Anope User
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 04:20:36 PM »

It could also be done from an eggy if the egg-script could manage expiring the listings... Perhaps a feature request for 1.9 would be that news items have an expiry time also?

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 05:14:45 PM »

There are 4 RSS syndication .tcl's for eggdrops at http://www.egghelp.org/tcl.htm which may be of some use perhaps.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

zEkE

• Anope User
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 08:17:53 PM »

RSS syndication is already performed on the network, in a channel. It appears for all users in the channel, who happen to be there when the announcement is made.

This request is for RSS to syndicate into the OperServ "LogonNews" and "RandomNews" functions.

That said, the syndication could be updated by a bot if the bot were to be given an o:line and services access to add the news itself. Should I make a request that the 3 news functions (Logon, Random, Oper) be updated to have an expiry time, understanding that this would either be module (if it's possible?) or for 1.9?
Pages: [1]   Go Up