Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NickServ REGNICK command  (Read 6295 times)

veteran

• Anope User
NickServ REGNICK command
« on: January 06, 2009, 11:35:50 PM »

Hi there,
I wanted to request a module implementing a NickServ 'REGNICK' command which would enable Service Admins to add users to the database, e.g. '/msg NickServ REGNICK username email password', which would be an useful feature for networks which don't want to allow public registrations yet still have to add users manually quite often, and, more important, would provide a solution for networks which want to propagate registrations on their website to NickServ (via some bot, php/eggdrop/whatever).
As long as the MySQL support is rather experimental this is the only solution I came up with, and I don't see a way accomplish it without such a module. Sadly, I am not a very proficient C++ coder, otherwise I would try it myself.

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
Re: NickServ REGNICK command
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:23:25 AM »

Something similar here?

veteran

• Anope User
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 03:30:53 PM »

You are right, it is possible to accomplish the basic task I wrote about with the module you named.
My solution would be cleaner, though, because the registration bot would not be required to constantly switch nicknames for every registration (and back) and no check for unregistered, but taken nicks (which in this case would have to be SVSNICKed to something guest-like and noticed) would be necessary.
I thought about using the module you mentioned nevertheless, because I know that your time is precious. But still a similar command to the one I suggested would be needed for GROUP (e.g. '/msg NickServ GROUPNICK nick target'), because GROUP requires the users password which I have no access to (for security and privacy reasons I always store passwords MD5-hashed) - and I don't want users to register more than once on my site, just because they want to secure their second and third nickname...
So you see, a module of the type I suggested (implementing SA-only GROUPNICK and REGNICK commands) would still be neccesary for me (and some other networks surely too).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 04:09:07 PM by veteran »

LEthaLity

• Team
    • LEthaLity
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 06:08:03 PM »

Only reading this quick but their is an sagroup module  ns_sagroup which works using /ns sagroup nick target nick.
Combined with the one chaz posted you could have them users register on site, the opered socket bot registers the name, done. Users cant reg a newname once on the server via irc, or group as that module stops that, but with ns_sagroup you have the option of admin being able to group nicks if necessary. I dont work with sockets, php bots, i'd rather wait for live mysql  ;D

veteran

• Anope User
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 07:25:42 PM »

For me, waiting is not an option ;). Of course I will switch to MySQL once it's finished, but for now I'll have to use this work-around, although I don't like bots either. Also, the idea of some kind of command line interface to interact with the services occured to me, but that would probably mean a lot of coding...
Thanks for showing me the SAGROUP module... I think some additions will be necessary (e.g. respecting NSMaxAliases) and disabling the auto-dropping if the nick to group is already registered but this is a task I can surely accomplish by myself.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:52:10 PM by veteran »

katsklaw

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 02:29:03 AM »

modules can be released at http://modules.anope.org You'll have to have a user account, then request author status.
Pages: [1]   Go Up