Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: /ns getrealname  (Read 5695 times)

Monk

• Anope User
/ns getrealname
« on: June 13, 2006, 09:38:49 AM »

Anope supports a feature called "/ns getemail <mailaddress>" that returns all registered nicks with this email.

Currently we fight a pesky botnet that is registering the bots nicks. The bots all register with the same realname so it would be incredibly helpful to have a command like "/ns getrealname <realname>" to filter them out.

Regards,

Monk

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 10:24:40 PM »

Not trying to down play your request. Be it known that I have no opinion for or against your idea. My post is to offer you a solution to your issue at hand or to "filter them out" as you put it.

If you use Unreal you can add a ban block to your servers that will ban a user based on their realname (GECOS) field. The mask option in the ban block may contain wildcards.

Code: [Select]

ban realname {
mask <realname-mask>;
reason <reason-for-ban>;
};

Unreal ircd is not the only ircd that can ban users based on GECOS. Check your ircd's documentation to see if it can do so as well.

From a technical standpoint it is always better on resources to block users at the point of connection if you are wanting to ban them from the network. Services certainly has the ability to block users from connecting, it's just not the most ideal way to do so. It's better on resources to use a ban block, zline or kline.

example of such is an akill or sgline services doesn't know the user has connected until the ircd tells the network it has. At that time the user has already used the servers resources while connecting in the registration process. With a zline in place in the ircd the user doesn't get the chance to register with the server, the users connection is closed before the connection process can even get started.

Monk

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 10:00:22 AM »

I agree with you arguments here katsklaw. As bot attacks and similar are highly dynamic and time limited we prefer to catch them by a spamfilter entry. It is true that this is a bit more resource intensive but changing ban blocks in all servers isn't fun, too.

Around 300 of these bots managed to register their nicks in Anope before our other defenses got active. So the background of my request is that I would like to get rid of their registration, as for channels it is easy to stop flooding or spamming by setting a temporary chanmode +R. This doesn’t help when the bots are using registered nicks.

If implementing such a feature is not too much work, I think it could help to solve such issues quickly without much overhead work from the network staff.

Regards,

Monk
Pages: [1]   Go Up