Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: DDoS Attack  (Read 5308 times)

Master

• Anope User
Re: DDoS Attack
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:40:03 PM »

Apparently, the DDoS attack that took Anope's website down is the same host I use for an IRCd (which also collapsed). They have news about what happened here: https://ezvps.co.uk/ddos_update.php

It's really sad that people have to do this just for kicks. It was down until around 5am, which is when I noticed the server becoming stable again. At first I thought it was an issue with the server, but now I know.

Sadly, I don't have any additional information about who was behind the attack. I'm not even sure which container was being targeted.
Always believe Murphy's Law. If you don't, watch what happens.

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:45:56 PM »

We too made some news postings.

At around 2am GMT on the 11th of April 2009 our main provider sustained a DDoS of 100mbit/s (totaling around 60GB of traffic) against our IP which as a result was dropped at carrier level.

It would appear the attacker noticed that the host was downed and turned their attack onto the host of our second IRCd which remains at this time still unavailable.

Nobody has come forward admitting to the attack; nor indeed can we rationalise why someone would want to attack a community with no assets, no profitability, and with no impact on the earth spinning on its axis.

I suspect that as a result of this message, the DDoS will continue forth but I wanted to make our community aware that should we go offline again, there is a good chance we will lose the sponsored services we receive from these two gracious and patient providers and the net result of this will be more downtime.

If anybody has any information on who is behind this attack, we would be pleased to hear from them as I would like to understand their motives for attacking a small community as outlined above.

In the meantime, if you cannot get on our Support IRC we are sorry but there is not much we can do.

Backdated news post to (11/04/09)

Due to persistant DDoS we have taken the decision to drop all of Anopes services until such a time as the DDoS stops affecting real people paying for services which Anope does not.

I am thoroughly disgusted that somewhere there is someone happy to continue throwing bandwidth at us when we run on a donated virtual container and webserver and have absolutely no assets or funds.

I am sad to say that this is a battle we cannot win whilst an attacker throws their toys out of the pram at us, a small, defenseless and selfless community.

I am still open to be contacted by the attacker should they wish to actually discuss their issues rather than bombard providers who help us for free and do not need the hassle.

Until then, sorry folks, no doubt see you elsewhere.

Charles Kingsley
Anope Project Lead

Backdated to 16/04/09
Update 16th April 2009 - Service Availability

We have made irc.anope.org available again by becoming guests on Teranova.net which you can join us on should you wish to chat/seek help in the absence of the Forums. Please be aware you will be required to re-register your nicknames and anyone found being childish and stealing nicks will be banned permanently. (We still have the old DBs online so can check email addresses which with email verification being enabled should reduce this).

Once I am confident the cowardly attacker has finished throwing said toys out of his pram (or does the manly thing and contact me) I will approach our kind sponsor to see whether they will allow us to bring the Web Services back online as I know the community as a whole is at a loss without access to key utilities provided solely online.

Amanda Folson

• Anope User
  • O_O
    • ZomgIRC
Re: Re: DDoS Attack
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »

Yeah,  host with the same company...it took my VPS down too :(

no matter though - Everyone responded quickly when they realized what was happening. Good job guys <3

Master

• Anope User
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 08:48:46 PM »

I hope you guys are back on your home server soon.  ;)

On another note, it appears Unreal's website is either being targeted now or is just...down...there's an update and I can't get to it.  :(
Always believe Murphy's Law. If you don't, watch what happens.

Amanda Folson

• Anope User
  • O_O
    • ZomgIRC
Re: Re: DDoS Attack
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 09:00:20 PM »

There website is down.

Also this move is likely permanent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up