Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Support Boards  (Read 7235 times)

Andrew B.

• o.O
  • Contributor
    • Keyboard-Failure
Support Boards
« on: October 27, 2008, 07:23:09 AM »

Please Note:

Support boards for 1.6.x and 1.7.x are now 'archive only'. Topics within 1.7.x pertaining to the whole branch (now 1.8.x) may be found within the 1.8.x Support board. The board's have been disabled because we are no longer accepting bug reports for either branch, only for the 1.8.x Stable branch.

Anope strongly encourages users to prepare for a migration from the 1.6.x branch to 1.8.x upon it's final release.

Andrew Berquist,

irc.kbfail.net

katsklaw

Re: Support Boards
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 07:23:08 PM »

uhm, bug reporting is not the only reason for the forums. I doubt seriously that everyone is just gunna run out today and get 1.8 RC1 so you will still have several nets using 1.7.x until 1.8 is actually proven to be stable even after it's release. There will still be serveral that still need 1.7 and 1.6 support since 1.8 isn't released yet.

You shouldn't drop product support prior to a new release. People are not just going to "jump" just because you said so, you must first prove your new poduct is worthy of use, which has yet to happen. IMHO you closed the boards far too early.

TwinShadow

• Anope User
    • ShadowHime
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 08:20:22 PM »

I have to agree with katsklaw on this...

The network I run with a friend of mine use Inspire IRCd, and with 1.2 coming soon and no direct plans for it's support by Anope yet, I'm having to stay on 1.7.x until that support comes before I consider an upgrade. There are also a few modules that I use that also keep me somewhat held back.

katsklaw

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 08:42:35 PM »

I have to agree with katsklaw on this...

The network I run with a friend of mine use Inspire IRCd, and with 1.2 coming soon and no direct plans for it's support by Anope yet, I'm having to stay on 1.7.x until that support comes before I consider an upgrade. There are also a few modules that I use that also keep me somewhat held back.

I'm glad you mentioned modules because there are several that do not work on 1.7.23 or newer so many are stuck at 1.7.21/.22 because of this. While I'll be the first to admit that 1.8 is long overdue, you are going way too fast. On some days it seems that just as many things are broken or half-ass supported than things that are fully supported. From that retrospect 1.6 is A LOT more stable than 1.8 will ever be. So it seems that 1.8 has more toys and flexibility, 1.6 is still your "rock solid" solution.

Andrew B.

• o.O
  • Contributor
    • Keyboard-Failure
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 02:06:34 AM »

I'll speak with Chaz on the matter.

I think a clear 'end of life' needs to be set on 1.6.x for support. -- Also 1.7.x support can be rolled under 1.8 stable, since it's essentially the same branch. (Which is why 1.7 support) is nested under 1.8.
Andrew Berquist,

irc.kbfail.net

Amanda Folson

• Anope User
  • O_O
    • ZomgIRC
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 02:15:22 AM »

I agree with Andrew on this. All 1.8 is really is 1.7.24 - it will inherit all of 1.7.x's problems.

As for 1.6.x, I feel it's time to let go. To me it's like calling Microsoft for help with Windows 95.

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 06:58:55 AM »

On some days it seems that just as many things are broken or half-ass supported than things that are fully supported. From that retrospect 1.6 is A LOT more stable than 1.8 will ever be. So it seems that 1.8 has more toys and flexibility, 1.6 is still your "rock solid" solution.

Looking at the changes since .21; they are mostly fixes that needed doing, & lang file updates. There's nothing half-assed about it.

1.6 is a lot more stable than 1.8 will be NOW because it's had almost 2 years of not being touched; say the same in 2 years time and I'm sure it'll be that 1.8 is a lot more stable than 1.9 will be NOW.

I do understand your point with the closure of the boards and that it may be pre-mature so I will look into this and we'll take remedial action.

And FWIW, it would appear we have different types of users: those who want a "rock solid" solution which currently I'd say you could choose either 1.6 or 1.8-rc1 for, and those who want bells and whistles and moving technology in which case 1.8-rc1 is your dog.

The reality is that 1.8 is overdue so we're correcting that now, a similar reality is that 1.6 is covered in dust and is due for retirement.

The downloads for 1.7.xx versions have been hidden with the release of 1.8-rc1 but as you've correctly pointed out, third party module authors need to sort their mods out before people may move past .21/.22. This is fine, I wholeheartedly accept that given one of our developers is a third party author whom is fixing their modules. Breaking this compatibility wasn't a decision taken lightly as highlighted on my release notes, but it had to be done and we're past this.

The downloads for 1.6.5 still exist and will continue to do so until the release of 1.8 at which point as per normal release procedure they too will be hidden unless there is an overwhelming interest in making it legacy.

If there is a community wide feeling that "a lot" of people can't move beyond .21 then we will of course continue to support users on this version with bugs which are inherently not fixed upstream.

I hope this helps clear some air with our thoughts and movements.

I will look into the unlocking of 1.6 for continued posting & the merging back of 1.8 + 1.7 so that we keep it all together again.

Charles.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 08:35:19 AM by chaz »
Pages: [1]   Go Up