Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raw  (Read 25251 times)

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 11:22:42 AM »

personally I think os_raw should be moved to an extras directory and all references to it removed from the docs and the example.conf.

This is because if you can't figure out how to load the module, you have no business playing with it. It is a dev tool and if you are of high enough competence to write modules, then loading modules should be a piece of cake and you should be able to do so without instructions or any "hand holding" or any kind.

When people ask "how do I load raw?" I already know they don't know what they are doing.

guardian1128

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 01:38:11 AM »

I can see all the dangers of using the os_raw module just from reading the posts in here and other forums regarding it. We had a small IRCD on a home comp which had about 12 users on it and the owner installed the raw module so we did test out RAW commands on it, mostly harmless ones like making services "talk" or "act" etc, but now i'm a services admin on a larger IRCD with over 500 users then we wouldn't sanction loading the raw module at all. Is there , however, a module out there where you could still make the services ( like botserv, chanserv, memoserv etc etc) talk , or act in a channel without them joining that channel etc?

This is purely from an amusement point of view but would be fun to see if anyone has written such a module or if one could be created for it. :)

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 09:04:20 PM »

well,

1> there is no harmless raw commands. All of them can be problematic causing potential desynchs, even something as seemingly innocent as making Chanserv talk. Generally speaking, Anope knows what traffic to send and receive to and from the ircd and if a user does anything, even inadvertently, that causes Anope to send a single data packet that's not expected or anticipated, it can cause problems.

2> Check the modules site: http://modules.anope.org

[Edited on 27-3-2008 by katsklaw]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up