Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup to an FTP-Server  (Read 7676 times)

MicroLord

Backup to an FTP-Server
« on: February 21, 2006, 02:15:10 PM »

Hi,

Anope make's backup on the local machine at the moment.
But when the local machine crashed the backups are useless.

Therefore i think it was a good idea, if anope make the Backups over ftp to another Server.

So, When the server where is anope on crashed, the administrator use the Backup's from the backup-server

Sorry for my bad english...

And for the german people:

Anope speichert die backups momentan nur Lokal, wenn der Server nun Kaputt geht sind die Backups nutzlos.
Deswegen wäre es eine Gute idee, wenn anope die Backups auf einen FTP server speichern könnte.
Wenn der Hauptserver dann ausfällt können die Admins schnell Reagieren und ein 2. Anopeserver starten mit den letzten backups

[Bearbeitet am 21-2-2006 von MicroLord]

Dave Robson

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 03:06:19 PM »

There is nothing to stop you making a simple cron job to do this.

MicroLord

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 02:03:04 AM »

*grml* then i must work...
i hate it... *joke*

at the moment transfer a eggdrop (from a secound machine) my db's to another server where is anope on... and start them if the primary anope server down...

perhaps i upload the script or make a sh-script/program with a cron tab for other users...
but not in this or next month...
I have school tests where need all the time :(

ShelLuser

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 04:35:49 PM »

While I can see where you're going witht his I also think you overlook some very serious risks. In your current situation a script running on your server will always make sure that backups are being made, no matter what. What happens if some kiddies get hold of your services and start abusing them? It could then also start to affect your backups, perhaps even worse.

I really think, from a safety perspective, that you're better off with a seperate script. You might like to look into "curl". Its a very basic program which can be used to transfer files across.  So something in the likes off:

#!/bin/sh
tar czf /tmp/anope_bck.tar.gz <place where Anope data resides>
curl --user name:password /tmp/anope_bck.tar.gz ftp://your.ftp.server/location/

[Edited on 26-2-2006 by ShelLuser]
Pages: [1]   Go Up