Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bind alias command  (Read 5131 times)

Gumbie

• Anope User
Bind alias command
« on: July 23, 2007, 06:49:27 AM »

If anyone is familar with X3/O3 Services theres a mod-command section of code that allows service admins to create new command bindings on the fly and assign access to whatever userlevels desired. This coupled with a few good modules like os_trace.so and similar would be very powerfull! I wish I knew 'C' better as I know coded for Anope it would surpass X3's abilities!

-Gumbie

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 01:04:36 PM »

I used to use X3 and to be honest, it sucks. I never liked the bind ability, I didn't see much point in it no did I see a reason for such a command to be "on-the-fly" as your bindings really shouldn't change that much to start with. There is nothing wrong with staticly assigning commands to a bot. Trust me you don't want them to change much if at all or you will confuse your users. Balance what the command is worth, which as I stated in my opinion is not alot, against the time it would take to completely re-write how Anope handles events(which is alot) and you'd find that it's not really worth the time. Not to mention that individual modules can bind to whichever bot they wish or even create a new pseudoclient if they wish. It has neve made sense to me why you would need to tell your services package where what command goes to.  It should aready know what commands are for NickServ and what commands are for ChanServ etc ... and those commands should never change. That's a far cry from needing it "on-the-fly".

Addionally, Anope happens to be far more popular than X3 or X2 or even both combined and is arguably the most popular IRC Services package in the world, and it didn't get there by accident or luck. So literally thousands of networks already seem to think Anope supasses X3 in abilities.
Pages: [1]   Go Up