Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anope API  (Read 7538 times)

Kevin M

• Anope User
Anope API
« on: November 23, 2009, 04:43:38 AM »

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before or not, but I think it'd be amazing for Anope to have some sort of API. Primarily so that you can use it to manipulate services without actually being connected to IRC. I know I'd use it.  8)

Trystan Scott Lee

• Contributor
Re: Anope API
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 12:14:27 AM »

would be nice to separate the code a bit

1. library of none irc functions
2. library of database

There is a lot of code work that could be done, doubt it will happen
my God my tourniquet, return to me salvation

Kevin M

• Anope User
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 12:42:13 AM »

Do you mean it'd be wise to more or less rewrite anope? :P

Jan Milants

• Team
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 12:48:50 AM »

Personally I would very much like to see a feature that would allow 3rd parties to communicate with anope without the need of going through a relatively slow MySQL server or so.. whether something like that will be done is another matter..

As for rewriting anope, that s what the development branch, 1.9, is about. While not a rewrite per se, it ports anope to C++ and as such parts of anope are progressively being rewritten, though not from scratch.

There have been modules for 1.8 that allow anope to take commands through SQL, from direct connections, but I don't think one was ever completed and considered "stable".
For 1.9, it aims to support a live MySQL DB backend reducing the need for an API like interface.. Doesn't make it less interesting, just less likely to be done in the foreseeable future..
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Kevin M

• Anope User
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 02:18:24 AM »

What would this Live MySQL DB do? As apposed to the current (1.8 ) MySQL solution. :P

Adam

• Team
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 02:21:35 AM »

It would be updated in realtime, and Anope would read changes made to it and apply them to the running services.

Kevin M

• Anope User
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 02:30:25 AM »

Nice. :D I've had a chance to look at 1.9's new config and well, it's some snazzy stuff right there. :D

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 04:35:04 PM »

Discussing "Live" SQL is interesting because for all intents and purposes current incantations in both 1.8 and 1.9 (Live SQL attempts) are slow, and lumpy.

What I had considered discussing and this really needs some intelligent and interested people to thrash out would be whether we can retain the flat file structure, a memory storage system and MySQL where 'relevance' is the key, and whether SQL queries can be answered via some kind of intermediary system (ala xmlrpc) whilst still providing near on seamless MySQL application style stuff.

A theory we had considered was having an updates table in SQL which stored 'changes' between flat file and/or memory and the 'main' SQL DB which could be used to answer 'regularly' changing queries without having to enumerate or dig through a full database.

There's so many other options available it's a question of intelligent people (far more intelligent than me!) getting stuck in with ideas, theories and some good old fashioned kicking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up