Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ChanServ and mlock +i  (Read 10544 times)

Spinwing

• Anope User
ChanServ and mlock +i
« on: February 09, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »

Hi all

what follows is for sure due to my ignorance on administering IRC. I did RTFM, but I have gaps in my general IRC knowledge, therefore I apologize in advance. Also sorry for the long post.

Scenario
I've created a channel that need to be secret and invite only, ie only the people that I want should be in and people from the outside shall not know who's inside. In order to prevent anyone invited to change the channel I've set mlock to +ntNGCim.

The problem
When I disconnect with the founder user, that user is locked out from the channel when at least another user is still in. Since I'm the founder, I would have expected ChanServ to allow me to rejoin anytime. If nobody is in the channel, the first user that joins locks the channel down, even if not the founder. That user does not receive op status, as I can read the message

Code: [Select]
*** Mode change "-o spintest" on channel #channel by ChanServ

Nevertheless that user can invite anybody, including the founder.

Reading the manual, I've notice the command

Syntax: INVITE channel

Tells ChanServ to invite you into the given channel.

By default, limited to AOPs or those with level 5 and above
on the channel.

I send the command, nothing happens. Doh. RTFM. Ok, I need to be level 5 and up. But hey, as a founder of that channel, I should have the highest level, how comes? Well then

/CS aop #channel add Spinwing founder

-ChanServ- Spinwing added to #channel AOP list.

then ask for invitation

/CS invite #channel

nothing happens :(

I'm pretty sure that when I'll read the answer I will slap hard my hand on the forehead, but at the moment my brain is in doh mode..

Thanks

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 03:18:09 PM by Spinwing »

Jan Milants

• Team
Re: ChanServ and mlock +i
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 02:54:42 PM »

Even though you wrote a whole lot of text, I'm not entirely following...  ::)

For starters, what IRCd is this on..? You posted a string of modes, but what they mean and how they behave is highly ircd dependant.. I have no idea what "NGC" means on your ircd.

Nevertheless that user can invite anybody, including the founder.
How? Through anope or through the ircd? Anope won't be blocking or controlling the irc invite command, only the chanserv invite cmd.

And what do you mean with nothing happens? Not even a reply from services or just a missing invite? And yea as founder you should have access, provided you are correctly recognized as founder... in any case, chanserv should at least respond..

Could be a bug in anope, though I wasn't able to reproduce this but.. 1.9 is devel after all :)
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Spinwing

• Anope User
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »

Good that I'm an experienced forum admin, I did post in the wrong section  :'(. Please move the thread in the appropriate one. Sorry about this (all those versions, I got confused)...

While editing I accidentaly deleted the infos.

UnrealIRCd 3.2.8.1, Anope latest 1.8.5 on Ubuntu 10.10 LTS

"NGC" for me means No nick name changes permitted, channel rated (to avoid swearing), no CTCP (to avoid illegal software exchange).

How? Through anope or through the ircd? Anope won't be blocking or controlling the irc invite command, only the chanserv invite cmd.

Errr I thought it was the same thing, but since it is not, then through the ircd (I told you I'm ignorant on IRC, please be patient).

And what do you mean with nothing happens? Not even a reply from services or just a missing invite
No reply from anything.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 03:19:36 PM by Spinwing »

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 03:22:01 PM »

OK, the IRCd side /invite command is not in any way controlled by Anope and in most cases the invite is only passed on to another server if the victim is on another server so Anope simply wont see the invite to do anything about it.

As for non-ops being able to use /invite, that depends on the IRCd, some IRCds restrict it to ops always, others only restrict it to ops if the channel is +i. Now UnrealIRCd if I remember correctly only restricts /invite when the channel is +i.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

Spinwing

• Anope User
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 07:48:12 PM »

OK, the IRCd side /invite command is not in any way controlled by Anope and in most cases the invite is only passed on to another server if the victim is on another server so Anope simply wont see the invite to do anything about it.

I understand. In this case we will be working on one server only. Even if Anope does not see the invite, what strikes me is the fact that if I'm the founder and my channel is +i, then if I leave it I cannot re-enter it. Unless there is (obviously) something I miss in the picture.

In other words, what would be the advantage of registering the channel if I need to keep a foot in it because when I leave it I cannot re-enter it?

Thanks

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 08:13:26 PM »

Anope is sending the invite, it doesn't need to see it. If an invite is not displayed to you then it's either the ircd, your client of choice or invites are being filtered/ignored by a script or your client (mIRC can do all the above). Anope can not prevent a user from joining any channel, it can only react after the user has joined.

When you ask ChanServ for an invitation is checks to see if you have access to do so. Meaning if you are identified as a bona fide user of acceptable level, it then sends an invitation and at that point services has noting else to do with the process. The invitation follows the path from services to your client through the network and your client displays the invitation so you can act.

Unrealircd does indeed pass invites to your client.

Unable to join #Testing because it is invite-only
*** ChanServ (services@services.irc) invites you to join #Testing

I have replicated your scenario using Anope1.8.5 and Unreal3.2.8.1 and can not reproduce your issue. I'm recommending you try a different client/script, disable all your scripts, check your ignore list to insure invites are not ignored, ask other users to try to reproduce the issue.

The user in the test has SOP (level 10) access and is properly identified to NickServ.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:25:58 PM by katsklaw »

Spinwing

• Anope User
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 10:47:48 AM »

I have replicated your scenario using Anope1.8.5 and Unreal3.2.8.1 and can not reproduce your issue. I'm recommending you try a different client/script, disable all your scripts, check your ignore list to insure invites are not ignored, ask other users to try to reproduce the issue.

The user in the test has SOP (level 10) access and is properly identified to NickServ.

I'm using HydraIrc. I'll try mIRC. If not then I'll have to dig again into the config and figure out.

Thanks again

Spinwing

• Anope User
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 02:44:23 PM »

Nope did not work for me, I'll write the steps, for sure there is something I'm missing here.

using mIRC, empty IRC environment, default settings.

/join #invito
/msg ChanServ register #invito pwd Invite only channel
[15:30] -ChanServ- Channel #invito registered under your nickname: Spinwing
/msg ChanServ set #invito mlock +i
[15:32] -ChanServ- Mode lock on channel #invito changed to +ir.
/join #invito
no problem

Now I leave #invito and another test user joins (from another session)
*** Mode change "-o testuser" on channel #invito by ChanServ
happily enters, I thought it would need invitation, but since the channel is empty, he happily makes himself comfortable..

now I try to re-enter
/join #invito
[15:33] #invito unable to join channel (invite only)
/msg ChanServ invite #invito
(nothing happens)

I try to raise my status
/msg ChanServ SOP #invito add Spinwing
/msg ChanServ invite #invito
(no reply)
/join #invito
[15:36] #invito unable to join channel (invite only)

Thanks

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 02:48:31 PM »

1> there is no config option to enable/disable invites in either anope or unrealircd in the scope we are talking.
2> you never showed where you identified as the SOP.
3> please reply with your uline block from unrealircd.conf and ServerName from anope.conf please.

Spinwing

• Anope User
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 03:26:42 PM »

1> there is no config option to enable/disable invites in either anope or unrealircd in the scope we are talking.
2> you never showed where you identified as the SOP.
3> please reply with your uline block from unrealircd.conf and ServerName from anope.conf please.

I solved the problem the U line was wrong ;) Thanks for the indication!
Pages: [1]   Go Up